Whether you are an experienced gambler or a beginner, perhaps at some point the equestrian has caught your attention. However, horse racing betting strategies on horse races or turf is a completely different terrain that requires the mastery of certain basic concepts.
That is why, in order to make it easier to enter this world and win, in Apuestas we have developed the basic guide to betting on horse races, including tips and strategies to implement. Discover it below:
- Types of horse racing
- Types of bets
- Horse racing betting strategies to choose the winning horse
- Basic glossary to bet on horse racing
Types of horse racing
You already know that strategy is key in any game or sport, and that she begins by mastering basic information. Before betting on horse races, the first step in our guide is to know the different modalities:
It is the most common and, therefore, the most popular. As the name implies, they take place on flat terrain, usually grass or fiber-sand, without any obstacles or inclinations. This configuration allows the horse to gallop at maximum speed.
Also called “flat”, this type of tests can be done in circuits, in a straight line, or any other route.
One of the best-known appointments of this style and horse racing, in general, is the Kentucky Derby, approximately two kilometers away and held on the first Saturday of May in Louisville, Kentucky.
The “jump racing” tests are very popular in England and Ireland and are organized during the cold months of the year.
The meetings are divided into three main categories: fences, bumpers, made in flat tracks with obstacles, and steeplechases or field, where horses must jump over bushes, fences, and ponds.
One of the most celebrated competitions of its kind in the Queen’s Cup in Charlotte, North Carolina, held in April.
It is of the less common styles because, in fact, they are horse races where the jockey does not mount the horse but is in a two-wheeled car called sulky. The animal will trot or step instead of galloping, to avoid any accident.
In the Mahon racecourse, on the island of Menorca (Spain), competitions of this style of horse racing are held. It is also a modality that competes on snow in the Scandinavian countries.
Types of horse racing betting strategies
Since you have selected the type of race where you are going to bet your money, the next step is to decide what type of bet you are going to make.
There are two categories in horse betting: direct and combined.
- A winner: you play the horse that crosses the finish line first.
- Second: bets on the horse that finishes first or second.
- Third: the chosen horse must be in one of the first three places. Multiply your probabilities of benefits by three, although the charges are made according to the dividend of the third place, no matter the final position in which your copy has been.
- Placed (place): cobras only if the chosen horse ends first, second or third. Sometimes the placed can also be the “second” bet, depending on the number of participants and the rules of the racecourse.
- Exact: you select the first and second place of two horses in a single race. They must cross the finish line in the same order selected.
- Imperfecta: you choose two horses in the same race, but these can arrive indistinctly from first or second.
- Trifecta: you play the first three positions, in exact order, in which three horses will finish.
- Cuatrifecta: you must predict the horses that will finish first, second, third and fourth, in exact order.
- Twin: it looks like the imperfect one. Cobras if, when selecting two horses, they occupy the first and second positions. However, if less than 6 horses run, the order must be exact.
At first glance, the combined bets are the ones that could bring us the greatest gains when betting on horse races, but the variables to be taken into account, such as the performance of the horses, the coach, etc. are also greater. Therefore, before risking the combination, the best advice is to go for a direct bet. If you are racing horse rider don’t miss 5 important horse racing game in your horse betting.
Horse racing betting strategies to choose the winning horse
In most horse races, to select the winner it is best to analyze all the information available in the program of the betting agency. Of course, this information will be more accessible – and free – if you are physically at the racetrack.
If, on the other hand, you are going to bet online, most of the operators include in their pages numerous analyzes and reviews.
Once you have the program of the day, these are some of the horse racing betting strategies and criteria to take into account when betting on horse races.
Check the horse’s performance
Many programs and web pages will indicate the history and previous performance of each copy. So you can see what was the classification in past races. Of course, if you do not find this information directly on the site, it will be enough to perform a simple search on Google. Our advice? Pay attention to the type of terrain, the distances, the prestige and the categories of previous victories.
For example, if a specimen won first place in a class 3 steeplechase run, it is difficult to say what his performance will be in a class 1 race.
Check the fees
As in sports horse racing betting strategies, horse racing, the horse that has the lowest odds is the favorite. Predictions may fail, but quotas are a good indicator of the performance of the horse, the jockey and the trainer in previous tests.
If you are not sure that the favorite is the one that ends first, two strategies would be or make a twin to create a lower risk bet or play one placed, depending on the number of participants.
At a basic level, it is important to remember that a favorite victory occurs 33% of the time.
Find out about the horse’s behavior that day
Many base their horse racing betting strategies on the attitude of the horse during the pre-competition. Whether you’re watching it on a screen or in person, you can know a little about your mood by watching it unfold during the warm-up laps.
If you see that there are horses that are more nervous than others, that they refuse to walk or get upset, that could mean that in the final lap they will not be at the maximum of their possibilities, thus affecting your gains.
Check the coach’s reputation
The coach can be the key strategy when it comes to betting on horse races since this has sometimes several horses running in the same competition. Once you get their names, you can use the strategy of reviewing their previous performance, even on the same day.
This is a good indicator of possible performance since the specimens share certain variables, at least those that refer to training.
Tip: If you notice a winning streak by several horses of the same trainer, then you are facing a safe bet.
Check the reputation of the rider
The jockey and the horse have little to do with the reputation of one or the other. A particular rider can travel all over the world and ride numerous horses. So it is difficult to discern if their victories are due to the abilities of the horse or vice versa.
Horse racing is one of the few sports where the animal is revered more than the human. In fact, at the racetrack, you can hear how the audience cheers the horse more than its rider.
As a bettor, your horse racing betting strategy should focus on finding a balance between the reputation of the rider and that of the horse. But if you must decide on one, the best advice we can give you is to give more weight to that of the animal, since it is he who will bring the victory.
Basic glossary to bet on horse racing
You are almost ready to bet on horse racing. However, in addition to the modalities, types of bets and possible horse racing betting strategies, you should also familiarize yourself with some terms that you are sure to hear, either directly at the racetrack, online, or at the betting agency:
- Horse Accompanying: a copy that follows 2 or 3 bodies to the pointers.
- Conditional career: is a career that limits the right to participate in it, according to conditions of origin, age, careers or sums earned or other conditions that are determined.
- SPC races: the horse races considered the most prestigious. SPC races have grades I, II, III, and
- Furlong: is an equine measurement unit equivalent to n eighth of a mile or 200 meters. Ex. Race of 7 furlongs = Race of 1,400 meters.
- Handicap: advantages or disadvantages that are assigned to a horse in order to balance their opportunities with respect to other competitors in a race.
- Paddock: in horse races, it refers to the private and reserved area in the Racetracks where the preparatory actions (warm-up, saddle, and parade before the public) and later (unsensing, weighing, and even awarding) are carried out.
- Potranca and colt: also called Filly, the filly is a two-year-old female horse. The foal or foal is a two-year-old male horse.
- Pointers: are the specimens that dominate the race.
Now that you have the basic knowledge to horse racing, as well as horse racing betting strategies and tips to take into account, it’s time to choose the place to make your debut. In Latin America we have a great equestrian tradition, know here the best racetracks.